Next to Breitenwang, Wängle is the oldest settlement in the Außerfern. The parish probably dates back to the 9th century and is referred to as the parish of Aschau in official records until the 18th century. Wängle was the seat of the parish priest for this parish of Aschau and the location of the parish church of St. Martin.
- Sea level: 882m
- Inhabitants: 955
- Total Area: 9,35 km²
- Population density: 102/km²
- Districts: Hinterbichl, Holz, Wängle, Winkl
The former large transports of salt through the Außerfern contributed to the acquisition of the Wängler farmers. A small part of this once flourishing branch of the economy led over the Gaicht Pass through the Tannheim Valley to the Lake Constance area during the snow-free season. Cattle breeding and seasonal work by men (here mainly as bricklayers, plasterers and carpenters) and children (Swabian children) abroad formed the main source of income for the Wängl population until after the First World War.
Worth seeing is the St. Martin's parish church, built between 1702 and 1704, with the ceiling frescoes "Institution of the Sacrament of the Altar" and "Gathering of the Manna in the Desert" by Franz Anton Zeiller (1786). The altarpieces "St. Martin" and "Holy Family" were painted by Paul Zeiller in 1704. In 2004 the church was lovingly restored.